Friday, April 15, 2011

Mild-mannered alter ego

With just about two weeks to go before the Great Migration, my alter ego has been hard at work doing a bunch of stuff that isn't related to Camp at all.  While my official title at Wetland Studies is Associate Engineer, my unofficial title is Easily Distracted.  I do a little bit of everything.  My main job (currently) is design of sustainable stormwater facilities: rain gardens, pervious pavement, and other things that make the urban jungle more closely mimic the hydrology of a forest.  Right now, I'm also learning the exciting new world of project management by leading our team on a large sustainable stormwater contract for DC's water authority.

My secondary jobs, however, are many and varied, just like they are at Red River.  Currently, the most exciting one is that I've been primarily responsible for the design and content of Wetland Studies' new website, which went live last night.  I have several edits to make over the next couple of days, but we're all very excited to finally see it up and running.  My next "art project" will be to modify our Reston Stream Restoration project site to match the new site format and to finish up some new marketing materials we've been working on.  Throw some soil testing, regulatory meetings, tour guiding, and actual design work into the mix, and I keep myself pretty busy.  (There's a reason these posts typically come out between 5:30 and 6:30 in the morning!)

On the Red River side of things, our new shirts came this week.  I had them delivered to Maine, so I haven't actually seen them yet, just pictures.  The red ink looks quite a bit brighter than I was hoping for, but I think they'll do.  I have two other designs to print, and I'm currently looking into fleeces or sweatshirts as well. 

I'm getting some new quilts for the double beds and some new sundries for the dining room- I'll post pictures once I make a final decision.  And finally, the generator is currently out town being serviced, so I'm making arrangements for that to be completed in the next couple of weeks so we can have power while the solar system is being installed.

Those are the big items; all in all, it's just another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment