Sunday, March 6, 2011

WFR This Week

The Wilderness First Responder class started yesterday. Our syllabus is packed full; I have to learn how to deal with homework again, if only for a week!  I'm glad I started reading the text when I did, because we have at least a few chapters to read each night, in addition to work from a couple of other books that we received today.

Our instructors, Daz and Jeff, are great- very knowledgeable, engaging, and fun.  We've already had a chance to start discussing some of our Camp-specific needs and concerns with them, and hopefully by the end of the week, we'll have a good idea of what we'll need (and what we won't) to be able to respond to emergencies in our neck of the woods. 

The class will be partly in the classroom but mostly outside for a lot of in-depth, hands-on drills.  Yesterday covered scene size-up and initial assessment, along with respiratory and cardiac emergencies, and the entire week will focus on differentiating between emergencies we can handle ourselves and emergencies that require, and I quote, "bright lights, cold steel, and machines that go 'ping.'"  I've got to tell you: after Day 1, I'm worried that I'm going to see potential emergencies everywhere!  I'm sure that fear will settle down by the end of the class.

Although the rain held off yesterday, we're not so lucky today.  We woke up to the pitter-patter of big heavy raindrops this morning, and the forecast says it's supposed to stick around all day.  I'll keep you posted on how the week goes.  In the meantime, here's another fun tidbit.  WD-40 can apparently be applied to the skin to aid in the removal/cleaning of certain toxins.  Who knew?  Between that and duct tape, I have half a medical kit in the trunk of my car!

No comments:

Post a Comment