Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fresh Veggies This Summer

I've been hoping to revive the Red River vegetable garden for the past couple of years. I think I'm going to start off small this year just to get things moving, and I'm planning to put in some raised beds to do it.

In 2007, I joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program in Virginia. We paid a set fee, and every week, we got a bag of vegetables from a local farmer. The goodies changed every week, and we got really good at finding recipes for things we'd never eaten before. Our CSA farmer also grew a lot of heirloom varieties, and I've been interested in them since.  Think green and orange tomatoes, deep red carrots, and that sort of thing:


Now that I'm working on my own garden, I'm looking at planting heirlooms. It turns out that the internet has a lot of sources for heirloom vegetables and flowers! I've been looking at ordering seeds from the Seed Savers Exchange, which is where both of these photos came from. I'm hoping to plant tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and beans to start off with, but I have a feeling that this will be like shoe shopping for some people: I won't be able to keep myself from picking up that crazy fractal broccoli, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment