Saturday, March 12, 2011

WFR Day 7 - Updated

Huh.  Well, when they indicated that they had an interesting scenario planned, they weren't necessarily talking about the injuries and makeup!  Yesterday's scenario had me in a bit of a love triangle with Joe, who had an unstable knee and severe peanut allergy, and his best friend Derrick, who got washed downstream in a flash flood and broke his pelvis while seven of us were out hiking.  Unfortunately, my primary responder went straight to the root of my problem and completely bypassed the backstory, no matter how much I tried to get him back to it.  (It's tough to direct the conversation when you're balled up, hyperventilating, and screaming in pain, but I tried!)  Our group's other injuries included a lightning strike, a near drowning, and a snakebite/sprained ankle combo.  No cool makeup for me, though, so no pictures- sorry!

It's hard to believe that today is our final day of WFR.  I feel like I've been here for a year, and I mean that in the best way possible.  It'll be strange not to go back to class on Sunday; I'm going to miss all of my new friends and the crazy shenanigans we get ourselves into.  After this morning's written and practical exams, I'll find out if I can really call myself a "confident, competent WFR."  I feel good about the written exam, but I'm worried that I'll just freeze up on the practical exam even though I'm pretty sure I know my stuff.

UPDATE: It's official- I am a confident, competent WFR!  Joe and I both passed, which is awesome.

A million thanks to Daz and Jeff from Wilderness Medical Associates for putting on a great class for us and to Nancy for being our "WFR Mom."  (She even ran out and bought me some nitrile gloves when I had a reaction to the vinyl gloves we started with.)  This week has been amazing and exhausting.  I have a million real life things to catch up on, but for now, I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment