Monday, February 7, 2011

Rebuilding Denny, Part II (Deconstruction)

(Also see Part I.)

I assume everybody knows by now that, no, we didn't rebuild Denny as a giant log pile like I jokingly suggested in Part I of this post series.  We did, however, have to do some substantial work to it in order to make it habitable again.

First, we removed the old front porch.  It was getting to be a bit of a safety issue.  On the right side of the picture, you can see that the logs that once made up the porch wall are basically crumbling away.



Then, we removed the floor on the inside, all the way down to the log joists.  Denny always seemed fairly high off the ground to me, but that proved not to be the case.  The joists were in surprisingly good condition, though.


Then the real fun began.  We had to remove a few logs that were crumbling out of the walls.  To do that safely, we had to jack the entire cabin a foot or two off the ground:


Once all was said and done, the bathroom hung a few feet out there in space.  We shored that up as well- I just don't have a picture.  It's in pretty good shape overall, so it'll be easier to refurbish what's there rather than build a new one.


That's about it for Denny's deconstruction.  I'll tell you about the reconstruction in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment