Friday, February 11, 2011

Guide License, Part II (So Close!)

(Also see Part I)

When you apply for your Maine Guide license, they warn you that the process for new applicants can take 6 months to a year.  So I made sure to send in my application in January to give myself the best chance of testing during the summer when it's most convenient for me.

I'm heading up to Maine over Presidents' Day weekend to check on the roofs and get a few other things done.  (Bear with me.)  I can only get a few days away from the office at this point since I'm taking a Wilderness First Responder course during the second week of March, so I had to decide between a few days before Presidents' Day and a few days after.  I finally decided to fly up on February 19th and stay a few days after Presidents' Day.  I ordered my tickets a week or so ago.

I got a letter in the mail today from the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.  "Oh good," I thought.  "They're letting me know they received my application."  Unfortunately, that was only part of the truth.  The letter requested my presence in Augusta to take my oral exam on February 16.

Nooooooo!!!!!

I can't believe the timing.  Had I gotten the letter a week earlier or been able to book my tickets a week later, I could have gotten the oral exam over with.  As it was, I was able to contact the State and request that my test date be held off until May or June.  I guess, if nothing else, it gives me an extra couple of months to study.  Guess I should probably use them wisely!

No comments:

Post a Comment