Sunday, January 23, 2011

You've GOT to be Kidding Me.

If I were looking for a place to file this bit of news, it would go under S for "Seriously??"  Let me introduce you to the - wait for it - Wildlife Taser.

From the company's website, "The Wildlife TASER electronic control device is a revolutionary new multi-shot ECD that can engage multiple targets, and deliver a calibrated Neuro Muscular Incapacitation (NMI) pulse from up to 35 feet away."

There are so many things wrong with this idea; where do I begin?  First off, I think they have a typo in their statement and meant to say that the Wildlife Taser can "enrage," rather than "engage," multiple targets.  The website also notes that the stun lasts for about 30 seconds.  What happens after that? 

Secondly, if I have a Taser calibrated for something the size of a moose (with a cartridge that will penetrate moose hide), what do you think is going to happen if I hit something smaller than a moose (goodness forbid, a human) with it?  Assuming that I'm not looking to kill everything under about half a ton, will I carry a variety of Tasers for different wildlife?  I could color-code them, perhaps: red for moose, black for bears, yellow for large cats, maybe pink for chipmunks and squirrels trying to steal food from my campsite...

My problem here isn't so much with the weapon itself; it's with the perceived safety of the weapon.  Everyone knows the danger inherent in discharging a standard firearm.  Tasers, on the other hand, are typically seen as safe: something that will stun but not kill, despite a couple of high-profile Taser deaths over the past few years.  Having that perception can really mess with a person's head when that person is in a high-stress situation; I can picture a lot of people not thinking twice about Tasering something that they wouldn't consider shooting.

These are being marketed to wildlife managers, field biologists, and zoo caretakers.  However, as one Taser representative said about the standard model Taser, "We meet one demographic, and that is of scared people.  I would say that our biggest-reached market is dads buying these for their daughters in college."  I've got to tell you: I'm skeptical of having trained field personnel carrying these things.  I'd be terrified to learn of any "scared" campers having a beefed-up bear Taser in my neck of the woods.

I'm not even going to post a link for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment