Saturday, January 29, 2011

Jack and Lily, Part III

(Also see: Part I and Part II.)

By now, you're probably wondering why I keep calling this story "Jack and Lily."  

If you've seen the movie Legend, you know that it's a classically-cheesy Tom Cruise flick from the mid-80's; it's one of my favorite movies to watch around Halloween.  (It also has a great soundtrack.)  Legend starred Mia Sara as a sweet and innocent free-spirited princess named Lily who befriends a sweet and innocent forest-dwelling boy named Jack.  In the usual fashion, Lily and Jack fall in love; Lily inadvertently plunges the world into darkness; Jack saves the world (from Tim Curry, no less); and everyone lives happily ever after. 

Fast-forward to 2010 after the loon chick is born: every time I go near the Island, the male decides that I'm a threat and gives a series of "Hey you kids, get off my porch!" calls.  The female responds with calls that I can only imagine mean, "Who's at the door, dear?" or something similar.  At any rate, they're loon calls that I haven't heard on the pond before, but their pitch and volume are uncannily similar to Lily calling for Jack the first time she visits him in the forest in Legend.

And just like that, our loons have become Jack and Lily.

Here's Jack giving me the evil eye:


More still to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment