Friday, July 15, 2011

It's Just a Duckling Time of Year

I had another post written for today, but I'm in the mood to post some duckling pictures instead.  (They grow up so fast.  Other news can wait.)

Here's our resident mallard, which I mistakenly identified as a black duck the other day.  (At least, I think it was a mistake.  The two species interbreed quite a bit, resulting in very dark mallards, but I think these chicks have too much yellow in them to be black duck chicks.  Anyone who knows the species better than I do can feel free to correct me in the comments!)  If you click on the photo, it'll take you to a much larger version, as well.


I also found out today that Pushineer has a mama merganser with four chicks.  I apologize for the bad photo; she was all the way across the pond, and even my amazing new telephoto lens couldn't zoom in that far.


We also had our gang of three loons hanging around the pond today.  I'm not sure where they come from, but we see them around now and then.  They're always three, and we know they're always the same gang because they do a crazy dance wherein they tightly circle each other in a clockwise direction for about ten minutes.  Jack and Lily are nowhere to be found when these three are around.



I guess that's enough duckling and loon news for now! I'll put all these photos up on Red River's Flickr page, along with a few others we've taken recently. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment