Thursday, May 19, 2011

This-n-that, and our first guests of the season!


It's official- the 2011 season has begun.  As our first guests of the summer, we welcomed back some great folks who have stayed with us a couple of times.  It's almost hard to believe that this will be our third year up here after taking over from my dad, but in a way, it's almost hard to believe that it's only our third year, as well.  As always, there's nowhere else on this earth I'd rather be, even when things are hectic (and gray) like they are now.


We got our generator re-installed and our water pumping, but we've got an issue with (what I think is) our check valve that should keep the water from flowing back into the well.  It's just not doing its job, so I'm having Gloria bring in a second one tomorrow, which I'll install between the pump and the well.  (The current check valve sits between the pump and the water tower, all the way in the back of the very small pump house, and it's pretty hard to get to.)  With any luck, that will solve our problem, and we'll once again be able to hold water in the tank overnight.

Otherwise, our water system seems to have weathered the winter fine.  I've fixed a couple of small leaks here and there but haven't seen any big problems.  Once I get a little time this weekend, I'm going to trade out four of the last five water heaters in the cabins for tankless versions- that'll be pretty exciting.  (Sometimes I'm reminded just how much of a geek I really am.)

My final piece of news is that the solar installation begins tomorrow and will last through Monday- that'll also be pretty exciting!  Here are our batteries awaiting their new home.  (These things are substantial.  Depending on whose literature you look at, each one weighs just about as much as I do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment