Monday, May 9, 2011

I have mad driving skillz, and Red River has electricity!

It's been a busy couple of days here at Red River.  Yesterday, I decided to put my Trailblazer to the test and make a run for the hill.  My first attempt, yesterday morning, was 100% futile- I got stuck less than 50 feet from where I started.  Yesterday afternoon, though, while being serenaded by pop hits blasted by some folks picnicking at Pushineer, I actually made it the whole way in to Camp.  The final run wasn't without incident, though.  I got as up close and personal with this stand of silver birch as physically possible without actually hitting any of them:


(That tire track is my driver's side tire. My passenger side is the track that grazes the spruce tree.) 

And this is how the hill looked after I finally made it in to Camp- it wasn't pretty, but it did the trick.  The snow on the left-hand side of the road was still about 18" deep.


At any rate, I made it in, and I went back over the road a few more times just to be sure.  That led up to Dad and his friend Dwight being able to bring the old generator back in today.  They were able to fix it to the point where it should last us a while longer and put off the expense of purchasing a new one.  So happily, Red River now has power!  I'll get the water hooked back up tomorrow or Wednesday, and we'll be in business.

Spring is progressing well; the ice went quickly once it started:

May 6, 2011

May 8, 2011

May 9, 2011
That's all the news for now.  I plan to pull some of the canoes out tomorrow and maybe take a paddle over to the Island to see how it fared the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment