Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Serendipity

Serendipity follows me wherever I go, along with its little sister, Coincidence.  I've been somewhat accurately described as living at the junction of lives; it almost doesn't matter where I am, I either bump into someone I know, or I get talking to someone and find out that I went to the same high school as their nephew, or something equally as random.  I think it's genetic, because it happens to my mother as well, and now I think it's also contagious.

For instance, we have three parties here in Camp this week.  (I'll call them Groups #1, 2, and 3.)  They booked at different times; they're from different cities; and they should have nothing in common.  When Group #1 arrived a couple of days ago, we got talking to them and happened to ask how they heard about us.  It turns out that they first heard about Red River from a lady who works at their eye doctor's office, who just happens to be the wife of one of the members of Group #2.

Tonight, as Groups #1 and 2 were eating together in the dining room, a few members of Group #3 walked onto the dock to go fishing.  One member of Group #2 turned to the other and said, "don't those guys look just like..." and proceed to name off exactly who they were.  Serendipity struck again, and it turns out that the members of Group #3 (who are all family members) grew up diagonally across the street from the members of Group #2.  They hadn't seen each other in 20 years.

So, unbeknownst to us, this week has become one giant reunion.  Serendipity is either contagious or it flows in the waters of Red River.

No comments:

Post a Comment