Monday, March 15, 2010

A Vision for the North Woods?

From the Portland Press-Herald:

"A group called the Keeping Maine's Forests steering committee is working on a proposal to protect millions of acres of the working forest from further development. The committee is close to having a final plan and will deliver it to federal officials as early as this month."

Read the entire article here.

This could be a very big deal for those of us in and around the North Maine Woods. I think everyone who knows me knows how I feel about the woods. If done right, this deal could be very beneficial to the people of Northern Maine, and it could ensure that Deboullie retains its remote character well into the future.

I'll keep my eyes open for more information on this potential land deal, which is being negotiated only among a select few at this point, and I'll keep you posted. I'm optimistic with a healthy dose of skepticism at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment