Tuesday, March 16, 2010

MSCommNet

MSCommNet is the second of two "Big Items" that could signficantly affect Red River. (The first is Keeping Maine's Forest, which I mentioned yesterday and will be expanding on soon.)

MSCommNet stands for the Maine State Communications Network project, which will develop a unified statewide land mobile radio network for State law enforcement, public safety, and public service agencies. In other words, the project will update the infrastructure necessary to allow radio communications for the folks who help keep the woods safe. Let me start off by emphasizing that this is a good thing.

Why and how will this affect Red River? If you take a look at the proposed tower network (see here), one of the towers is slated for Deboullie Mountain. To answer your first question, yes, I have heard that the existing fire tower on the mountain may be slated for removal because it is not structurally-sound enough to hold the new radio infrastructure.

From what I understand, nothing is set in stone yet. This would obviously be a big impact on the area and the viewshed, though, especially if the new tower is significantly more modern than the fire tower. If you want to contact the state and voice your opinion, start at the MSCommNet site.

I've talked to some of the folks working on the project, and I'm trying to get copies of the plans to see if I can help the design company find a solution that doesn't impact the existing tower to the point of requiring its removal. (In engineering, the tendency is to start with a blank slate and work from there. It's easier. It also means that they might not have considered every option.) At the very least, the state has requested that the new tower have a viewing platform.

For the easier questions about funding and timelines, I'll direct you to the FAQ section of the MSCommNet site. Otherwise, I'll keep you posted as I get more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment