Sunday, January 24, 2010

If the Earth had rings...

One thing I've been wanting to pick up for Red River is a decent telescope. I've always been fascinated with the night sky, and we have such a good canvas for it in the North Maine Woods. (I'm sure you'll see a "dark sky" blog post from me at some point; the sky near D.C. is a perpetual orange. It makes me sad.)

At any rate, I recently came across this NPR article showing a video of an artist's rendering of what our sky might look like if the earth had rings like Saturn. The comments below the video do point out some potential problems with the idea, but it's more fun to suspend disbelief. (Some of humankind's best ideas came about because people suspended disbelief- I personally like living on a round planet!)



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment